domenica 26 giugno 2011

"MASTERCHEF DOHA" : Thai cooking class

25°17'12N 51°31'60E   T. 35°- 42 °C

It's cooking time!!! Yes, you got it right, today I attended a Thai cooking class at Alfardan's Tower.
Can you imagine me among stove, appliances and exotic ingredients trying to perform a great chef??
(For people who don't know, I'm definitely not good at cooking anything).
Fortunately, I was only asked to wrap a simple springroll...no big deal uh? Because after that, it was getting more and more difficult to deal with Tom Yum Soup and Pad Thai (especially considering that normally I can barely cook a scrambled egg!!!).
Anyway, the most interesting part was definitely the lunch!! Who do you believe ate all that stuff??? ;-)
I got home full to the bursting point....
I don't know if I will be able to recreate the recipes by myself  (the challenge would be also finding all those ingredients)....but, apart from that, I collected another story to tell, didn't I?

Guys, if you're interested in, here's one of the Thai recipes (with some personal suggestions).

Phad Thai

Phad Thai sauce
5 tbsp  tamarind sauce (dissolve 1tbsp tamarind thick paste in 1/4 cup water). Never heard of before but seems to be essential....
3 tbsp soysauce
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp chili powder, or to taste

Phad Thai
115 gr rice sticks, thin. Kind of rice noodles..
3-4 tbsp oil
1 garlic clove, large, minced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup tofu, firm, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup tofu, soft, crumbled
3/4 head baby bok choy or other cabbage, roughly chopped. I suggest you spinach...
3-4 tbsp peanuts, roughly ground, divided
3 cups bean sprouts, divided
1 spring onion, thinly sliced.

Garnish
1/2 cup coriander, chopped. If I were you I would avoid it...it tastes like soap :-/
Lime wedges
Strips of red pepper

Boil rice noodles for 4-5 minutes and drain them well. In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients of the sauce together. Heat oil ia a wok (or large frying pan) until it is just about to smoke, then add garlic and shallots and stir, letting it cook for about 30 seconds.
Add firm tofu, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes and push tofu to side. Add the bok choy and stir until it becomes bright green and softened, then push it to side of the pan.
Break soft tofu into the wok, let it fry for 1-2 minutes and add drained noodles, giving them a quick fold, stir-frying for 1 minute from the bottom up.
Add tamarind sauce and about 2/3 of the ground peanuts and stir. At last add 2/3 of the bean sprouts, all the green onions and take off heat.
Transfer noodles to a serving dish and top with the rest of the peanuts, the rest of the sprouts and some strips of red pepper. Stick a couple of lime wedges on the side and serve immediately.

Personal hint: that's a vegetarian dish. I'd rather add some meat or fish (like prawns for instance) to give it a more "mediterranean" taste.


Cooking evidences







Whatever open-hearth.





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento